*Please note you need to be registered and logged in for these booking links to be active - please click 'register' at the top right-hand of the page*
A comprehensive introduction to cruising for inexperienced skippers. This course equips you with enough knowledge to navigate around familiar waters by day. A basic knowledge of lights is also included to introduce you to night cruising. Course topics include:
• the basics of seamanship
• the essentials of coastal navigation and pilotage
• electronic charts
• position fixing
• plotting a course to steer
• weather forecasting and meteorology
• collision regulations
• construction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat
• emergency and safety procedures including distress calls,use of flares, safety harnesses, lifejackets and liferafts
Students will require a course plotter and nautical dividers kit available as an exclusive Little Ship Club package for only £20. Some 2B pencils, an eraser and pencil sharpener are also essential items. The course leader may suggest additional reading material.
- RYA Dayskipper qualification and certificate
- Training dinner with course participants
- Networking opportunities for practical experience
- Enough knowledge to take practical Dayskipper course
- Enough knowledge to be useful First mate for experienced Club skipper
A long course (Dayskipper A) which starts on the 3rd October 2016 and is every Monday evening until the 24th April 2017 with a break after the 5th December until the 9th January for Christmas and a break on Easter Monday.
The price of this course is:
Club members £195.00
Non-members £350.00 (includes club membership for the duration of the course).
An accelerated course (Dayskipper B). This starts on the 8th February 2017 and consists of 10 Wednesday evenings (1900-2100) and 5 full day Saturdays (0930-1630) finishing on 12th April 2017
The price for the Accelerated course is:
Club members £225 (includes lunch on Saturdays)
Non-members £300 (includes club membership for the duration of the course and lunch on Saturdays)
No previous knowledge required although some practical sailing experience is helpful.