A comprehensive introduction to cruising for inexperienced skippers. This course equips you with enough knowledge to navigate around familiar waters by day. A basic knowledge of lights is also included to introduce you to night cruising. Course topics include:
• the basics of seamanship
• the essentials of coastal navigation and pilotage
• electronic charts
• position fixing
• plotting a course to steer
• weather forecasting and meteorology
• collision regulations
• construction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat
• emergency and safety procedures including distress calls,use of flares, safety harnesses, lifejackets and liferafts
Students will require a course plotter and nautical dividers kit available as an exclusive Little Ship Club package for only £20. Some 2B pencils, an eraser and pencil sharpener are also essential items. The course leader may suggest additional reading material.
- RYA Dayskipper qualification and certificate
- Training dinner with course participants
- Networking opportunities for practical experience
- Enough knowledge to take practical Dayskipper course
- Enough knowledge to be useful First mate for experienced Club skipper
A long course (Dayskipper A) which starts on the 2nd October 2017 and is every Monday evening until the 23rd April 2018 with a break after the 4th December until the 8th January for Christmas and a break on Easter Monday.
The price of this course is:
Club members £195.00
Non-members £350.00 (includes club membership for the duration of the course).
An accelerated course (Dayskipper B). This starts on the 7th February 2017 and consists of 10 Wednesday evenings (1900-2100) and 5 full day Saturdays (0930-1630) finishing on 11th April 2017
The price for the Accelerated course is:
Club members £225 (includes lunch on Saturdays)
Non-members £300 (includes club membership for the duration of the course and lunch on Saturdays)
No previous knowledge required although some practical sailing experience is helpful.
Use the links below to pick your preferred course.