Cruise on the River Lot, June 2013
The Club is organising an eight day cruise on the River Lot from 14-22 June 2013. This will be open to our friends from the Corinthians as well. The River Lot has been chosen because of its:
- dramatic scenery
- magnificent prehistoric cave paintings
- lots of sight-seeing en route
- renowned for its wildlife, particularly birds
- delicious local food and wine.
We pick the boats up in Douelle, go up-river to Cahors, then on to St Cirq Lapopie, then down-river back past Cahors and Douelle to Luzech and finally back to Douelle.
Pick up boats in Douelle and make our way up-river to Cahors
Morning - Cahors market, the biggest and best in the area
Afternoon - explore Cahors - Valentre Bridge, Chemin de St Jacques de Compostelle, the old town, Cathedral, museums, secret gardens
Evening - wine-tasting followed by first rally meal, featuring local specialities
Up-river, exploring the riverside villages, all with beautiful scenery that get increasingly dramatic, including:
Arcambal - a brewery, ancient mill, 14th century chateau
Vers - well-known art gallery, remains of aqueduct, cascades
St Gery - great for bird-watching
Bouzies - tow paths carved into the limestone cliffs, canoeing in River Cele (tributary of Lot)
Continue up-river arriving at St Cirq Lapopie in the afternoon
It is one of the 'Plus Beaux Villages' and is perched spectacularly on top of the cliff overlooking the river, with stunning views
Morning - visit caves of Pech Merle with prehistoric cave paintings - unlike the more famous ones at Lascaux you see the originals, some of them 25,000 years old
Afternoon - look round St Cirq Lapopie - lots of crafts and galleries as well as the amazing views
DAYS 6 and 7
Back down-river past Cahors and Douelle, to Luzech
Back up-river to Parnac - visit to vineyard
Then back to Douelle
Final rally meal in Douelle
Leave boats 9.00 am next morning
THE BOATS - from 'Le Boat'
There are two big advantages
- You do not need qualifications to skipper one of their boats.
- Many of the double berths convert to 2 singles, so accommodation is much more flexible than yachts.
- Le Boat is a UK company and is part of the Tui Group (as are Sunsail and The Moorings).
- We have negotiated a 20% discount for 6 boats.
- The discount will be on 2013 prices.
- If we book 10 or more boats we will get a bigger discount - not yet confirmed but possible 25%.
- There is a good range of sizes and layouts but the sooner you book the more likely your choice will still be available.
- Le Boat brochures are available from the Club office: email@example.com.
- Bear in mind that the prices in the brochure are for one week so you have to add one seventh of the given cost for the extra day.
- Please let the office know if you book a boat and how many will be on board.
Finally a reminder of the contact details:
0844 463 3579
Any questions, please contact Caroline Quentin, the organiser
On the water
- 1 of 2