RYA Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Offshore course extends the techniques learned on the Day Skipper course. Some aspects of navigation are studied in more detail and additional seamanship subjects are introduced.
Course topics include:
- position fixing
- course shaping and plotting
- tidal knowledge
- use of almanac and admiralty publications
- electronic position finding equipment
- taking and interpreting forecasts
- plotting weather systems
- weather predictions using a barometer and by observation
- collision regulations
- customs and excise regulations for cruising abroad
It allows some time for revision of the basics and then moves on to the advanced navigation techniques. No mathematical knowledge, other than simple arithmetic, is expected.
The Club runs two versions of the course
Option 1 - Our traditional evening long course for Yachtmaster will be run from October and continuing for 22 weeks with a break in December. Classes are scheduled to be held at the clubhouse.
Option 2 - Accelerated Course - about 10 weeks - commencing in February and running until April giving 44 hours tuition on 10 Wednesdays from 1900-2100 and five Saturday classes from 0930-1630 spaced at fortnightly intervals.
The price for both options is:
- Club Members £325.00
- Non-members £425.00
Students need to have:
- Course plotter and nautical dividers kit (available at Little Ship Club for £27.50)
- 2B pencils
- Pencil sharpener
- The Course Leader may suggest additional reading material.