English East Coast Cruise - August 2021
LSC English East Coast Cruise 2021
Once every four years members of the Corinthians come from the USA to take part in a joint sailing event with the Little Ship Club. The 2020 cruise was postponed due to the Covid-19 pandemic and has been rearranged to be an English East Coast cruise, taking place from 21st to 28th August 2021.
Sadly, both US and UK international travel restrictions have not eased enough to allow US citizens to travel to the UK without quarantining. Therefore, the Corinthians are unable to join the cruise.
As the cruise ends on the English August Bank Holiday weekend there will be the opportunity for an informal extension to the cruise or a more leisurely return to home ports.
From 19th July 2021, the UK Government removed most of the Covid-19 social distancing and related restrictions, in England. Some requirements such as the Track and Trace system and constraints on international travel in and out of the country will continue, at least in the short term.
It may take a little while for some venues, which we are visiting, to adapt to less restrictions. Consequently, please be prepared for last minute fine tuning of the itinerary.
The cruise is going ahead and moorings have been reserved at all of our stopping off points.
The cruise will be on the East Coast of England in and around the Thames Estuary, visiting harbours and places of interest in Kent and Essex. The outline itinerary is shown below; more details will be added in due course. Because of tidal constraints there will be some early departures but this will leave more time for socialising and other events later in the day.
Saturday, 21st August 2021
- Assemble at Wolvestone on the River Orwell
- Moorings at Royal Harwich Yacht Club and Wolverston Marina
- Welcome Reception
Sunday, 22nd August
- Early departure (05:00). 30 nm sail to West Mersea
- Moorings on buoys. Water taxi available at all points of the tide.
- Cruise lunch/ drinks at the West Mersea Yacht Club
Monday, 23rd August
- Prompt departure (07:00). 24 nm sail to Burnham on Crouch
- Moorings at Burnham Yacht Harbour.
- Pontoon Party
- Shore side options include: local pubs.
Tuesday, 24th August
- Prompt departure (07:00). 45 nm sail to Chatham
- Moorings in Chatham Marina
- Shore side options include local pubs and restaurants
Wednesday, 25th August
- Lay day in Chatham
- Visits available to the historic Chatham Dockyard and the Royal Engineers Museum. The Copper Rivet Distillery is also worth a visit.
- Cruise dinner in The Ships & Trades restaurant, just next to the marina.
Thursday, 26th August
- Leisurely departure (08:30). Short, 10 nm sail to Queenborough.
- Moorings Queenbourough Harbour
- Pontoon Party
- Shore side options include Queenborough Yacht Club and a good range of pubs
Friday, 27th August
- Early departure (06:00). 34nm sail to Ramsgate.
- Moorings booked in the Royal Harbour Marina.
- Pontoon Party - Pimms & Aperol
- Numerous shore-side options including the Royal Temple Yacht Club, Fish & Chips, local pubs ad restaurants
Saturday, 28th August.
- In Ramsgate.
- Day trip, by coach to Dover Castle.
- Evening: End of Cruise dinner in the Royal Temple Yacht Club.
Sunday, 29th August
Departure to home ports.
Joining landside events
If you can't make the entire Corinthians Cruise there will be the opportunity to "drive along" to some events such as cruise dinners and visits to places of interest. More details will follow.
Expressions of interest have now closed.
Firm bookings and payments will be required around the end of July.
Organiser: Paul Banks
Date and time
Sat, 28 Aug 2021 12:00